As the colder weather arrives do you find that your skin starts to get dry and flaky? You need to pay attention to what you skin is telling you no matter what time of the year and all you need to do is tweak your skin care routine depending on the season.
You should always protect your skin and supply it with beneficial nutrients inside and out to keep it healthy all year-round but as the weather changes in the winter you need to adapt your skin-care routine as the air becomes drier inside and out.
Don’t forget your skin is an outer reflection of your inner health, I believe that a nutrient-dense, whole foods diet, with particular attention paid to certain vitamins, minerals, and other compounds, is a powerful tool helping your skin stay supply and moisturised throughout the winter – many people miss the opportunity to make major improvements in their skin simply by changing what they eat.
Flaky, chapped lips are common in the winter months and may require some extra TLC, use a gentle exfoliate to remove dry, dead skin cells and follow up with a nourishing lip treatment for super smooth lips.
Two effective remedies against dry, itchy winter skin:
- Getting sufficient amounts of animal-based omega-3 fats in your diet, and
- Using coconut oil to moisturize your skin
Top Tips for protecting skin in the winter
- Stay active — it benefits your mind, and body, work out at home, or bundle up and go for a long walk outside. When the weather turns cold, it is tempting to curl up with a good book, but maintaining an active lifestyle will keep you healthy from the inside out.
- When going outside, protect your skin from the elements by wearing a hat, scarf and gloves. Cold, dry weather can wreak havoc on your skin, but by wearing the proper attire is an easy way to prevent exposure.
- Introduce more nourishing skin care products for the face and body.
- Start the winter season with refreshed skin, slough off the summer residue to start with refreshed skin that may be dry from too much summer fun in the sun – do a gentle exfoliation on a weekly basis.
- Coconut oil or Almond oil: both natural home remedies that keep the skin smooth and moisturized – massage almond oil over the dry areas. Can also be used for the lips
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera provides all the essential nutrients to the skin and makes it smooth and glowing.
- Homemade Sugar Scrub: mix sugar with coconut oil and use as a scrub. You can add some honey – this mix will exfoliate and moisturize the skin.
Apart from taking adequate care of your skin during winter, it is also necessary to focus on what you eat. Here are some helpful tips:
- Keep the body well hydrated and drink plenty of pure water
- Keep away from junk and processed foods
- Citrus fruits can strengthen the body and keep the skin healthy – they are filled with Vitamin C which is a great anti-oxidant for the body and skin
- Lemon: Lemon is rich in vitamin C – drinking a cup of warm water with fresh lemon added helps to detox the body and balance the pH which helps to ultimately give you skin a natural glow.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables high in antioxidants.
- Add ginger and turmeric to your food.
Six steps you can follow to ensure healthy skin in the winter and all year-round:
- Watch Your Environment: remove as many toxins as possible from your environment
- Enhance Your Digestion: make sure that your digestion is working optimally – your skin is a reflection of your internal health
- Ensure Outstanding Detoxification: make sure all your detox pathways are working effectively, I recommend doing a natural supported cleanse at the change of each season.
- Balance Your Blood Sugar
- Keep Your Hormones in Check
- Boost your Nutrient Intake
Top Tips for Supplement to Protecting Skin in the Winter
- Vitamin C
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Mystify– an all round antioxidant formula
- PA9+ for antiageing benefits and to improve overall circulation
The supplements I use and recommend to my clients are natural, plant based supplements, you can either shop here using user ID : 1810762
Recommended Skin care Products to Protecting Skin in the Winter
Use good quality natural and organic skin care products, I personally use Neal’s Yard Remedies Organic products and recommend them to my clients, the benefits of using natural and organic skin care products is that they nourish and treat your skin, allowing your skin to breathe and stay healthy. Most conventional skin care products are made from by-products of the petroleum industry and are not nourishing or healthy for your skin and your overall health so choose your products wisely. If you want a free, no obligation skin care / supplement consultation please contact me .
I believe that the best way to protect your skin during the winter, along with a nutrient-dense diet and pure water, and using a truly all-natural, organic moisturizer can help you achieve a clear and radiant complexion all winter long.