If you’re alive it the world right now, it’s likely you have felt overwhelmed at some point. Probably now more than ever?
The feeling of overwhelm can stop you in your tracks and can be debilitating if you let it spin out of control BUT withproper focus and by taking simple action steps, you can usually resolve most of the overwhelm and negative feelings.
Most of us are prone to worrying and negativity and then we do things to make ourselves feel better but this doesn’t solve the issue, it is just a temporary avoidance strategy. Take these steps to create a plan and go from feeling overwhelmed to feeling calm and peaceful again:
1. Identify what you do have control over and what you don’t: There is no point to worrying about things outside of your control. Determine what you can control and commit to working on changing what you can. Let go of what you can’t control. For example you can’t control COVID19 but you can control how you react.
2. Focus on solutions: Now that you know what you can and can’t change, keep your attention on finding a solution. Obsessing over something you can’t change will only serve to increase your levels of anxiety and stress.
3. Create a strategy: Make a plan to put your solution into action. Work out what you need to do and put as much time and effort into your plan as you can. The more action you take the better your odds of overcoming your challenges.
4. Get plenty of rest: Being overwhelmed is stressful, because of this it is important to get your rest and relax as much as possible and that doesn’t mean lying on the couch all day! Get a good night’s sleep, practice good sleep hygiene and accomplish as much as you can during the day.
5. Eat well: Most people’s nutrition goes out the window when they are stressed, they either stop eating or resort to eating a lot of junk food and/or drinking alcohol. Neither is the best option for you and will not help you to deal with your situation. Maintaining good nutrition during challenging times is essential. You can access FREE nutrition video’s here
6. Gratitude – Remind yourself that there is good in your life: If you have a roof over your head, food on your table and a bed to sleep on you have more than the vast majority of people in the world. Make a list of all the people and things you have in your life that you appreciate and make you happy.
7. Exercise : cycling, running, walking, palates or yoga might be just what you, it releases endorphins that trigger positive feelings in the body so you will feel less anxious plus have an easier time getting a good night’s sleep.
8. Celebrate Success: Even small steps are worthy of celebration. Be proud of yourself and be excited about moving forwards, you will feel more motivated to continue and one success leads to another.
9. Ask for help: Just ask and see what happens, you might be surprised, most people are willing to help and support you if you just ask and worst case scenario they might say “no” in which case you won’t be any worse off.
Help can also take the form of therapy, coaching, or talking to a friend. Get the help you need Book Your 45 Min Stress Relief Session: https://bit.ly/2xCoBG7
Overwhelm is an emotion everyone is familiar with but if you address it and build your resilience you can focus on solutions and put your time and energy on the right things. Worrying only makes you feel worse and makes you less able to achieve your goals.
Tend the Garden of Your Mind and you will be surprised at how many challenges you can overcome when you choose to build resilience and tackle the challenge head-on.
One way to strengthen your internal world and influence how you experience your outer circumstances is to Book Your 45 Min Stress Relief Session. Click here to book https://bit.ly/2xCoBG7 places are LIMITED.